The ASP activities consist of the following components:
- A 3-week scientific program for 60–80 students from all over Africa with a minimum if 3 years university education in mathematics, physics, computing and/or engineering. ASP2018-Namibia;
- African Conference on Fundamental Physics and Applications (ACP) organized in parallel to the students and teachers activities. It includes invited and contributed talks in many different tracks. ACP2018-Namibia;
- A one-week workshop is organized to train 70–80 high school teachers for improved physics teaching;
- A one-week program that consists of outreach to motivate 200–250 learners to develop and maintain interest in physics;
- A forum that consists of talks, discussions and debate about the role and the future of ASP in capacity development in Africa;
- Continuously, an active mentoring and coaching program to help ASP students.
To support these activities, please contact the organizing committee.
The 5th edition of the biennial African School of Fundamental Physics and Applications, ASP2018, will take place on June 24 – July 14, 2018 in Namibia.
Members of the International Organizing Committee made a site visit to Namibia on June 12-16, 2017. The objective of the site visit was to meet with the Local Organizing Committee and to converge on a program of actions leading towards a successful ASP.
A new clip of the visit may be found at ASP2018 NUST Visit
The school poster can be found at ASP2018-Poster
Further details will be released in due course.
The scientific program of ASP2016 consists of lectures and hands-on exercises and tutorials in theoretical physics, experimental physics, applied physics and computing for the selected students, a two-day physics workshop for high school teachers, a three-day outreach to secondary schools, and a Forum Day to discuss the role and impact of African School of Physics. The details of the program can be found here.
For donation and support, contact the organizing committee at email@example.com
The student application period: November 1, 2017 – January 31, 2018.
Application materials needed:
- Statement of interest
- All university transcripts
- One letter of recommendation from university advisor
Application to be submitted online here.
The international organizing committee made a site visit to Rwanda to meet with the Local Organizing Committee and start preparation towards the 4th edition of the African School of fundamental physics and applications, ASP2016.