The ASP activities consist of the following components:
- A 3-week scientific program for 60–80 students from all over Africa with a minimum if 3 years university education in mathematics, physics, computing and/or engineering;
- A one-week workshop is organized to train 70–80 high school teachers for improved physics teaching;
- A one-week program that consists of outreach to motivate 200–250 learners to develop and maintain interest in physics;
- A 5-day professional, international scientific conference organized in parallel to the students and teachers activities. It includes invited and contributed talks in many different tracks;
- A forum that consists of talks, discussions and debate about the role and the future of ASP in capacity development in Africa;
- Continuously, an active mentoring and coaching program to help ASP students.
To support these activities, please contact the organizing committee.
The 5th edition of the biennial African School of Fundamental Physics and Applications, ASP2018, will take place on June 24 – July 14, 2018 in Namibia.
Members of the International Organizing Committee made a site visit to Namibia on June 12-16, 2017. The objective of the site visit was to meet with the Local Organizing Committee and to converge on a program of actions leading towards a successful ASP.
A new clip of the visit may be found at ASP2018 NUST Visit
The school poster can be found at ASP2018-Poster
Further details will be released in due course.
The scientific program of ASP2016 consists of lectures and hands-on exercises and tutorials in theoretical physics, experimental physics, applied physics and computing for the selected students, a two-day physics workshop for high school teachers, a three-day outreach to secondary schools, and a Forum Day to discuss the role and impact of African School of Physics. The details of the program can be found here.
For donation and support, contact the organizing committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
The student application period: November 1, 2017 – February 28, 2018.
Application materials needed:
- Statement of interest
- All university transcripts
- One letter of recommendation from university advisor
Application to be submitted online when the application period opens.
The international organizing committee made a site visit to Rwanda to meet with the Local Organizing Committee and start preparation towards the 4th edition of the African School of fundamental physics and applications, ASP2016.
IMPORTANT: Travel Advisory for Senegal
Please view these two website for the updated information about traveling to Senegal:
- Traveling to Senegal
Here are some websites that offers information on travel and tourism in Senegal:
Explore these website and learn about this amazing country and get even more excited about visiting this beautiful place.
Important Information regarding the Visa for Senegal:
As of July 1st, 2013, a biometric visa is needed for every traveller who is a citizen of a country where a visa is required for travelling Senegalese citizens. Those who are exempted for a visa must present a valid passport or just a valid ID card in the case of citizens of a member state of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS/CEDEAO).
The cost of visa is 50€ (with an additional processing fee of 2.5 to 5€) and the application is to be done online (complete application or pre-enrollment only, with a final step at the Senegalese port of entry). Visa website: http://www.visasenegal.sn
- Yellow fever: mandatory (proof maybe requested at the border)
- Hepatitis A & B: recommended
- Anti-malaria treatment: recommended
Accommodation for STUDENTS:
The accommodation for selected students is free of charge as part of their full bursaries. More specific information will be provided shortly.
Accommodation for LECTURERS:
- A mid-range hotel located downtown: Hotel Al Afifa.
- ASP2014 special rate for August: 60 euros/night (w/o breakfast, but w/ internet) for single as well as couple.
- There is a restaurant in the hotel.
- Due to traffic, around 10-15 minutes from the campus and a cab will cost around 2 euros one-way.
- This is the one where past guests from SLAC, JLAB, BNL, etc (and a few members of the IOC last October) have stayed.
- A modest hotel not far from the campus (but maybe still 10 minutes, due to traffic).
- Nightly: 46 euros single and 60 euros double (a larger and more comfortable room is at 66 euros/night). Internet included, breakfast included.
- There is a restaurant in the hotel.
Local Organizing Committee can take care of the booking. In that case, please email your detailed travel arrangements, single or couple, and any relevant information to Prof. Oumar Ka at:
Invitation Letter For Lecturers will be produced once a hotel is booked as you would need a booking document for the visa procedure.
Airport Pick-up Arrangements will be made for each lecturer.